20 February 2009

Just Do It

You never know how bad it was until something better comes along and shows you how it really should be done.

Last year I *thought* Pulse Staffing Agency had it together. They paid for my travel and lodging in Atlanta for my interview, they paid the $500 for my social care reigstration with GSCC [required registration for UK social workers. The entire process was supposed to take about 6 months.

Thankfully, [but I didnt see it at that time], they ruined things with the immigration office and were denied work permits.

Fast forward to a year later, I received my contract in e-mail with my current agency. There were three issues that I had, I was not going to budge, and I would have said No to London if those three issues weren't changed. Issue number one, my address was incorrect [ok this isnt a big deal I know], issue number two, it said my location was yet to be determined within Croydon. After doing my research and speaking to Londoner's i found on Craiglist, I was told to stay the heck away from North Croydon. North Croydon, among South, East, and Central, are one of the four locations they can put me in. At my interview I requested Central London, specifically, short term assessments. Basically, I do NOT want to do child protection services. I cant be with a family for years and see the same shit over and over again. I want to be in and out. So, I chose the equal of investigations. 45 days is max my case will be open. I will be first on scene after an abuse allegation, I'll determine if there is abuse, i'll determine what the services will be. I LOVE IT. Anyone that knows me and my work ethic, I NEED to be in charge. I hate having a boss over me, and if I do, I have havign a boss that micromanages every little thing. The way I see it, if I was hired for a job, LET ME DO MY DAMN JOB. I'm competent enough to ask for help if I need it, and if I dont ask for help, DONT HELP ME.

Ok back to the point. The contract stated that my location was to be determined, which means that they had not given me my preference in job type. The only place for the Assessments team is Central Croydon. If they send me to protective services, I can be placed in North or South Croydon. The third issue is that they put a statement about getting a car. I specifically stated in my interview I will not get a car. I am dead set on this because the first agency told us the same thing. One girl that is already in Herefordshire was told she had to get a car and is now paying a buttload of money to get one, learn how to drive there [remember, they are on the oppostie side of the road and its all stick].

I replied with the above issues, and I swear, within 20 minutes I had a revised contract in my inbox, with it stating that I will be working in Assessments, in Central Croydon, will not be required to get a car and will use the train [Tube, metro].

Their speed and organization is such a breath of fresh air and I am so extremely happy to work with this staffing agency. Reed is absolutely the best.

What I think is a barrier can also be a lifesaver. Two weeks ago my staffing rep told me that before I apply for my entry Visa, I need to show 3 months of consecutive funds equal or greater than $1200, to show that I can afford my first month in the UK before my pay comes. I had another crying attack because I JUST spent that amount of money on my car when it broke down. It seemed like I just couldnt get a break. I wanted to use my income tax to pay off my credit cards, but now I had to save it !! THANKFULLY, my return was more than $1200 and I now have that barrier crossed off the list. After thinking more, I decided that when my lease ends [June 15, 2009], if I am not in the UK yet, I am moving in with my brother in Tampa, will use this money I saved to help pay the bills for awhile and look for a job in Tampa. I feel suffocated in Tallahassee and hate every moment that I am here.

However, I will do everything I possibly can to be a social worker in Europe, I dont care what needs to happen, but I WILL get there and nothing will stop me from accomplishing my goal.

My lesson in all this: Do not question why something bad happens, why things wont go your way, why this, why that. God has a plan, trust Him. However, he will only give you the inner strength to get up and try again, but YOU have to go for what you want. Its ok to bitch and moan and cry, but after your self pity session, DO SOMETHING about it. Zip your lips and turn on the engine and get moving.

1 comment:

  1. get it! things are falling into place. God is good and rewards those who are patient and obedient.

    ReplyDelete