06 May 2009

You're such a bitch

There once was a time that I had a filter in my mouth. Only good came out, negative stayed in. As I grew older both personally and professionally I have learned that only giving people good advice was cutting it short. To me, people do need to hear accolades when its due, but they also need to hear their shortfallings to avoid living a fake life. I dont necesarily know when this blunt-ness started in me. Maybe it was that crappy relationship.. maybe its from being a social worker.. I dont know. One of the things we social workers learn in graduate school is to never give advice to our clients; help them find their own way to awareness so it empowers them and strengthens them. What I have found is that since I spend all day biting my tounge, as soon as that work day is done I spend the rest of the day not holding anything back. If I really like you, I tell you all the time. If I think you are being an ass, I'll tell you. If I find a discrepency in your story, Ill point it out. If I know your lying and I can prove it, I will. I can't really control it until its out of my mouth and then I feel extremely guilty because I know I went too far. I dont know if I have burned any bridges in my friendships because people will never really tell me [or anyone for that matter I think] if something that was done hurt their feelings, even if I ask and I know I have. To be polite, they just say no everything is fine. But, isnt that impolite in itself? I think I may be too rash and blunt, but no one really tells me if what I said hurt them to know for a fact. Why is being honest, both with how much we love or like a person, to how much we hurt them or they hurt us something that humans just dont do anymore?

2 comments:

  1. Stop worrying about people. And not for nothing..but think about your closest sisters and friends...we are all bitches too. The main individuals you may have issues with are whiney cry babies who need to get over it. There is nothing wrong with self-improvement...but I have learned that while improving myself, I can also learn to weed out those who can't handle my personality..in the end it makes everyone happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I was actually thinking about that this morning... the people I am closet too are the people that arent scared to keep it real with themselves and with myself and I love that. There is beauty in truth.

    ReplyDelete