08 April 2009

Mi Vida Loca

Yesterday morning I got a confirmation e-mail from my contacts abroad to begin making arrangements to arrive in London May 5th-6th. That date has always been on my mind, but it didn't dawn on me until I looked at my calendar that its four weeks away!! I am excited about being there, but then my mind went 5000 miles a minute: my car, my bills, selling my furniture, what should I keep, what should I sell, what should I throw away? Who should I tell, do I tell my family yet? What will they say? I told some friends. When should I give my notice at work? Is this a right decision? What about housing, I want to take my spices [have about 50 cooking spices but maybe I shouldnt] ahhh its so overwhelming, and exciting.

All I know is that I am ready to begin my life in London. I will still be a social worker, specifically in child welfare. My responsibility is the equivilant of child protective investigations in the states which is what I preferred. In and out in 45 days or less. No harboring families for months and years hoping they will change. No more let downs. No attachments. No ON CALL!!!!! They have a separate program that does on call which is beautiful. Once I leave work at 5pm, I am DONE.

My work permit is set for 3 years, with the option of re-applying when my contract ends. Of everyone I have met on community boards and chat rooms, all the Americans stayed and have been there for over 20 years. I can definitely see myself as a Briton. Living a lifestyle where my position is revered, there is culture, diversity, something diffrent to do everyday, easy chance of travel. I learned about myself that I crave consistency in a person, but need diversity in my life.

I am ready for this change. I feel like my Life in Europe will by my ADULT life and I am ready to put my college years behind me.

1 comment: