17 August 2009

Welcome Back

Its been a long time coming, I know.
There are many reasons why I havent graced this blog with my words for awhile. I've found that the easiest times for me to write is when I'm in love and when I feel there has been injustice towards others. Anything inbetween gets locked away in my mind to fester away while I go on with my business, trying to ignore the thoughts racing in my mind, hoping they will go away.

What has been going? Why did I stop writing?

It started with getting burglarized. I dont like to be or feel attached, especially to material items but I was highly attached to my laptop for more reasons than it was expensive. The departure of my laptop took with it what makes me me. My grad school papers, my music, my writings. WOW. I just remembered. I have so many poems and personal writings on that laptop. A piece of me was robbed along with my possessions and I went into a place of not really caring anymore. I stopped caring about my work, my personal life, myself. It took a lot in me to not pack up my bags and say F-U to Croydon and there backwards way of doing things.

Professionally, I stopped writing because things on this floor have calmed down substantially. A new group manager was hired for the sole purpose of turning things around in which she has done a fabulous job in doing so. I now feel safe working here, I feel that there is someone that actually cares about the decisions that we make and is genuinely a good manager. When things are going well there just isnt much to write, but, I will do a better job, professionally, in updating my blog in what I am learning here. One of my reasons for coming to London to begin with is to really learn the ins and outs of child welfare in this country, go back to the States and see about doing my PhD in child welfare, comparing and contrasting the States ways of doing things versus UK's ways, taking the good and bad of each one and submitting proposals to the States on how these agencies should be run for an effective and manageable agency. Sometimes I worry that being here might actually harm me professionally because they are so ass backwards in their ways. I was given a book to read on parenting assessments and the research behind it. In the States, any research older than 10 years is basically thrown out. Here? These books that have been published within the last 5 years still quote research done before I was even born. I worry that I will be re-trained to think like the British then go back to the States and not be up to date on research and findings. I may have to read these old books to understand where the UK social workers are coming from, concurrently with reading American research. But who's right? Why do I think that the American way is the right way just because I'm used to it ?


And my last reason for taking so long to update my blog is that I can only do it at work, which means I get interrupted 50 million times while writing one paragraph. SO I must end here because its 1pm and time for lunch.

Ill be back, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment