30 January 2009

Let Me Count the Ways

Why do I love counseling?
Let me count the ways
I love thee till the breadth and width of my knowledge
I love thee because I can see improvement, growth, and recovery
I love thee like I love cheddar cheese,
Too much can cause sickness, just enough, is fulfilling.
I love thee because I have control over what I do
You give me the flexibility to do my own research
Make my own modules, see who I want to see, when I want to see, and for how long.
I love thee because my heart fills with joy when you walk in my office and i see you smiling
I see your hair done, I see your clothes pressed, I see the aura about you.
Why do I love counseling?
Let me explain
I remember you coming into my office, depressed, at wits end, with no more rope left to hang on to
I love thee because you put all your strength into your recovery, and you see results
I love thee because i am making a purpose in your life, but I am not THE purpose of your life.
I love thee because you don't know how resilient you are and I can help you reach your fullest potential.
You make me happy to wake up
You fulfill my desire to heal wounds
You give me purpose.
I love thee because you are not my job, you are my life.
Through you, I have healed from my own pain
I have learned so much about myself, not by hearing, but by listening.
Through you, I have grown.
I am more confident
I am am fulfilled.
I love thee because I never thought I could do it
But you came into my life, changed me as a person, and left me feeling better than I have ever felt.

1 comment: